(Please note the Leeds for Life Foundation Fund is no longer available and has been replaced by the Student Ideas Fund)
The Student Ideas Fund is currently closed for applications
Do you have an idea that could help improve the University and the experience of other students?
Apply for funding and support and turn your idea into a reality!
Our Student Ideas Fund is an exciting new collaboration between the University, Leeds University Union and you – our students.
Partnership is core to our University mission and we want to build, support and deliver the student experience together.
What is it?
This is a grant scheme that allows you to apply for up to £5000* to help you bring your idea to life.
We are looking for strong, ambitious and innovative ideas. We will provide the help and support required to bring these to a delivery stage, and beyond, if bids are successful.
Individuals and groups at all levels of study from undergraduate to post graduate researchers are encouraged to apply, as are LUU clubs, societies and Student Representatives. Your idea may require some research or development, or your project/activity may be ready to go.
The types of ideas that we are looking to fund through the scheme include, but aren’t limited to:
- bringing students together and creating a sense of community. This can be academically, socially or around a community of interest;
- delivering outreach or community programmes within or outside of the University, in new or innovative ways;
- organising a research project in an area related to your student experience; An example of this type of project is the “8 minutes to save a life project”- read more here about the 8 minutes to save a life example.
- creating or delivering an event to enrich the student experience;
- developing skills and knowledge through training which can be open to, and shared with others;
- projects that might help build a positive culture and sense of belonging for you and other students; and,
- ideas that build understanding and evidence of student needs- is there something the university should be doing, but isn’t?
To apply, submit your application either in text format or as a video outlining your idea, timescale, impact and estimated costs.
What happens after you apply?
Our Ideas Fund Panel is attended by staff from across the University, representatives from LUU, and LITE’s student engagement facilitators. The panel meets throughout the year to review submissions. If the number of submissions to the fund exceeds an amount that the panel tcan reasonably consider, some submissions may receive a response before the board is held.
Once your submission is approved, our Ideas Fund team will contact you to discuss next steps.
We will bring students together to share ideas and discuss your projects and identify any additional support you may require.
This could include making contact with people who can help turn your idea into a reality, such as members of our alumni, or other students and staff.
Once you have completed your project, you’ll need to submit a brief report to share the impact/findings of your work – our team will discuss this with you and support you with this.
Want to find out more?
You can get in touch with our Ideas Fund team with any questions by emailing: email@example.com.
*For ideas that will impact positively on the experience for many students, we will consider funding applications in excess of £5000.